About Me

I started this blog because of my intrest in Poker ... but then I realised I could also use it to show off some of my photos and even add more pages when i find something else im interested in..
Custom Search

Google search

This search bar will show the search results on this page.  Hopefully this will be of benifit to you

Monday, March 30, 2009

Google Webmaster Tools

Google Webmaster Tools, I have found these to be very useful, giving me a better understanding on how my blog pages get seen by others through the use of search engines.

I am shown what phrases or words people type in that bring up my blog pages in the search engine, which is giving me a better understanding of how important titles on posts are.
Also through the use of Google  Webmaster tools I discovered that the Title  labels on my photo page blog were not effective. And I would get better results if I changed them. 

 Also I discovered even the names of the picture files help greatly in getting good results in the search engines.  For instance I take a lot of pictures but I don't name them, E.G picture is called 2456.jpg (picture of a swan) and i upload this to my blog and then I might give the blog post the title "Taken on holiday"  and when someone types in a search engine "swan" my page wont show up as it doesn't have any reference to the word swan. 

 So from now on the picture file name will be changed before it is uploaded from 2456.jpg to something more relevant like "swan in flight.jpg" and the title of my blog posts will reflect the picture too E.G Swan in flight taken on holiday.

P.S I started a new photo blog on another blog page and I will label these properly and see if I get better results,  and maybe in a couple of months I will be able to tell if it makes a big difference.



No comments:

Blogging on Google

Google..... This so far has been the easiest site to set up a blog page on so maby this is where you should start.
It has a good selection of templates , which are also easy to change .
A big plus for google blog is google analytics ...... with this you can check and see about traffic coming to youre blog , what pages they are visiting on youre blog ( if you have more than one page ) what if anything they are clicking on, e.g are they clicking on the link to youre web site .
One negative is I dont have access to a spell checker when im writing text like this .................it is available when you are typing a post for youre blog.
Setting up links is easy , so you should have no problem linking to youre website , or to anywhere else.
You also have the option of sharing a blog ........... which means you and a friend can work to gether on the blog , or you can give some one who understands certain things like setting up google analytics , rss feeds access to youre blog and get them to do that and then remove there access when they have it set up for you ......... quite handy that.
And more on google blog later.


FeedBurner FeedCount